Kendall's Alternative Transportation Blog, Entry 2

Kendall Kroesen, Habitats Program Manager

This is week two of the new year, and week two of my new year of alternative transportation. I carpooled once last week and also rode my bike once last week.

This week I rode the bike yesterday and carpooled with Erin Olmstead today to get to the Mason Center (farther than I'd want to ride my bike, at least in this stage of my training!). It's nice to have somebody to talk to on the way to work. Today we somehow got onto the topic of our fathers' military service, and our own experiences relating to war and veterans. I'm about twice Erin's age and have a different generational perspective, so it was interesting to hear her experiences.

Yesterday I made it to work (our offices at the Historic YWCA building) in 21 minutes on my bike. I mapped my route on Google Maps and selected the bicycle option. I was a bit disappointed to see that it predicts it should take 17 minutes. I'm not sure if my reaction should be "it's the beta version of the Google Maps for cyclists and what does it know anyway" or "well, as I get in better shape I'll strive to make the trip in 17 minutes." I don't think I'll be making the trip home in 17 minutes any time soon since it's slightly uphill on the way back and I go a little slower.

I will start calculating my savings in fuel costs, that should be pretty easy. I'll need some help figuring out how to calculate my reduction in emission of pollutants and green house gases. More next week.

Comments